Accuracy of MRI and 18F-FDG PET/CT for restaging after preoperative concurrent chemoradiotherapy for rectal cancer

Yong Beom Cho, Ho Kyung Chun, Min Ju Kim, Joon Young Choi, Chi Min Park, Byung Tae Kim, Soon Jin Lee, Seong Hyeon Yun, Hee Cheol Kim, Woo Yong Lee

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

44 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background Performing a restaging work-up with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose-positron emission tomography/computed tomography (18F-FDG PET/CT) can provide information about the effects that are related to preoperative concurrent chemoradiotherapy (CCRT). The purpose of the present study was to investigate the accuracy of MRI and 18F-FDG PET/CT for restaging after preoperative CCRT for rectal cancer. Methods Between April 2005 and February 2006, 30 patients with histologically proven rectal adenocarcinoma were included in this study. Pelvic MRI and 18F-FDG PET/CT were performed to clinically restage the tumor after CCRT. The results of the pathologic staging were correlated with those of the MRI and 18F-FDG PET/CT after CCRT. Two patients underwent transanal endoscopic microsurgery after CCRT, and they were excluded when the N category was evaluated. Results The overall accuracy of MRI for the T category was 67% (κ = 0.422, P = 0.003), whereas overstaging and understaging occurred in 30 and 3% of the patients, respectively. For the N category, accurate staging was noted in 75% (κ = 0.410, P = 0.030) of all the patients, whereas 14% were overstaged and 11% were understaged. The overall accuracy rates for the T and N categories with performing 18F-FDG PET/CT were 60% (κ = 0.372, P = 0.004) and 71% (κ = 0.097, P = 0.549), respectively. While MRI could not predict any patient who showed a pathologic complete response, 18F-FDG PET/CT predicted three of the four patients who showed a pathologic complete response after preoperative CCRT. Furthermore, 18F-FDG PET/CT identified distant metastases with an accuracy rate of 97%. Conclusions For restaging patients with rectal cancer after preoperative CCRT, MRI is a useful diagnostic modality to predict both the T and N categories. 18F-FDG PET/CT is helpful in predicting a pathologic complete response and in finding metastasis after preoperative CCRT.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)2688-2694
Number of pages7
JournalWorld Journal of Surgery
Volume33
Issue number12
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2009 Jan 1

Fingerprint

Fluorodeoxyglucose F18
Chemoradiotherapy
Rectal Neoplasms
Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Neoplasm Metastasis
Adenocarcinoma

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery

Cite this

Accuracy of MRI and 18F-FDG PET/CT for restaging after preoperative concurrent chemoradiotherapy for rectal cancer. / Cho, Yong Beom; Chun, Ho Kyung; Kim, Min Ju; Choi, Joon Young; Park, Chi Min; Kim, Byung Tae; Lee, Soon Jin; Yun, Seong Hyeon; Kim, Hee Cheol; Lee, Woo Yong.

In: World Journal of Surgery, Vol. 33, No. 12, 01.01.2009, p. 2688-2694.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Cho, YB, Chun, HK, Kim, MJ, Choi, JY, Park, CM, Kim, BT, Lee, SJ, Yun, SH, Kim, HC & Lee, WY 2009, 'Accuracy of MRI and 18F-FDG PET/CT for restaging after preoperative concurrent chemoradiotherapy for rectal cancer', World Journal of Surgery, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 2688-2694. https://doi.org/10.1007/S00268-009-0248-3
Cho, Yong Beom ; Chun, Ho Kyung ; Kim, Min Ju ; Choi, Joon Young ; Park, Chi Min ; Kim, Byung Tae ; Lee, Soon Jin ; Yun, Seong Hyeon ; Kim, Hee Cheol ; Lee, Woo Yong. / Accuracy of MRI and 18F-FDG PET/CT for restaging after preoperative concurrent chemoradiotherapy for rectal cancer. In: World Journal of Surgery. 2009 ; Vol. 33, No. 12. pp. 2688-2694.
@article{d541bceadfe541ce9d1770a5ea134e2d,
title = "Accuracy of MRI and 18F-FDG PET/CT for restaging after preoperative concurrent chemoradiotherapy for rectal cancer",
abstract = "Background Performing a restaging work-up with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose-positron emission tomography/computed tomography (18F-FDG PET/CT) can provide information about the effects that are related to preoperative concurrent chemoradiotherapy (CCRT). The purpose of the present study was to investigate the accuracy of MRI and 18F-FDG PET/CT for restaging after preoperative CCRT for rectal cancer. Methods Between April 2005 and February 2006, 30 patients with histologically proven rectal adenocarcinoma were included in this study. Pelvic MRI and 18F-FDG PET/CT were performed to clinically restage the tumor after CCRT. The results of the pathologic staging were correlated with those of the MRI and 18F-FDG PET/CT after CCRT. Two patients underwent transanal endoscopic microsurgery after CCRT, and they were excluded when the N category was evaluated. Results The overall accuracy of MRI for the T category was 67{\%} (κ = 0.422, P = 0.003), whereas overstaging and understaging occurred in 30 and 3{\%} of the patients, respectively. For the N category, accurate staging was noted in 75{\%} (κ = 0.410, P = 0.030) of all the patients, whereas 14{\%} were overstaged and 11{\%} were understaged. The overall accuracy rates for the T and N categories with performing 18F-FDG PET/CT were 60{\%} (κ = 0.372, P = 0.004) and 71{\%} (κ = 0.097, P = 0.549), respectively. While MRI could not predict any patient who showed a pathologic complete response, 18F-FDG PET/CT predicted three of the four patients who showed a pathologic complete response after preoperative CCRT. Furthermore, 18F-FDG PET/CT identified distant metastases with an accuracy rate of 97{\%}. Conclusions For restaging patients with rectal cancer after preoperative CCRT, MRI is a useful diagnostic modality to predict both the T and N categories. 18F-FDG PET/CT is helpful in predicting a pathologic complete response and in finding metastasis after preoperative CCRT.",
author = "Cho, {Yong Beom} and Chun, {Ho Kyung} and Kim, {Min Ju} and Choi, {Joon Young} and Park, {Chi Min} and Kim, {Byung Tae} and Lee, {Soon Jin} and Yun, {Seong Hyeon} and Kim, {Hee Cheol} and Lee, {Woo Yong}",
year = "2009",
month = "1",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1007/S00268-009-0248-3",
language = "English",
volume = "33",
pages = "2688--2694",
journal = "World Journal of Surgery",
issn = "0364-2313",
publisher = "Springer New York",
number = "12",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Accuracy of MRI and 18F-FDG PET/CT for restaging after preoperative concurrent chemoradiotherapy for rectal cancer

AU - Cho, Yong Beom

AU - Chun, Ho Kyung

AU - Kim, Min Ju

AU - Choi, Joon Young

AU - Park, Chi Min

AU - Kim, Byung Tae

AU - Lee, Soon Jin

AU - Yun, Seong Hyeon

AU - Kim, Hee Cheol

AU - Lee, Woo Yong

PY - 2009/1/1

Y1 - 2009/1/1

N2 - Background Performing a restaging work-up with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose-positron emission tomography/computed tomography (18F-FDG PET/CT) can provide information about the effects that are related to preoperative concurrent chemoradiotherapy (CCRT). The purpose of the present study was to investigate the accuracy of MRI and 18F-FDG PET/CT for restaging after preoperative CCRT for rectal cancer. Methods Between April 2005 and February 2006, 30 patients with histologically proven rectal adenocarcinoma were included in this study. Pelvic MRI and 18F-FDG PET/CT were performed to clinically restage the tumor after CCRT. The results of the pathologic staging were correlated with those of the MRI and 18F-FDG PET/CT after CCRT. Two patients underwent transanal endoscopic microsurgery after CCRT, and they were excluded when the N category was evaluated. Results The overall accuracy of MRI for the T category was 67% (κ = 0.422, P = 0.003), whereas overstaging and understaging occurred in 30 and 3% of the patients, respectively. For the N category, accurate staging was noted in 75% (κ = 0.410, P = 0.030) of all the patients, whereas 14% were overstaged and 11% were understaged. The overall accuracy rates for the T and N categories with performing 18F-FDG PET/CT were 60% (κ = 0.372, P = 0.004) and 71% (κ = 0.097, P = 0.549), respectively. While MRI could not predict any patient who showed a pathologic complete response, 18F-FDG PET/CT predicted three of the four patients who showed a pathologic complete response after preoperative CCRT. Furthermore, 18F-FDG PET/CT identified distant metastases with an accuracy rate of 97%. Conclusions For restaging patients with rectal cancer after preoperative CCRT, MRI is a useful diagnostic modality to predict both the T and N categories. 18F-FDG PET/CT is helpful in predicting a pathologic complete response and in finding metastasis after preoperative CCRT.

AB - Background Performing a restaging work-up with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose-positron emission tomography/computed tomography (18F-FDG PET/CT) can provide information about the effects that are related to preoperative concurrent chemoradiotherapy (CCRT). The purpose of the present study was to investigate the accuracy of MRI and 18F-FDG PET/CT for restaging after preoperative CCRT for rectal cancer. Methods Between April 2005 and February 2006, 30 patients with histologically proven rectal adenocarcinoma were included in this study. Pelvic MRI and 18F-FDG PET/CT were performed to clinically restage the tumor after CCRT. The results of the pathologic staging were correlated with those of the MRI and 18F-FDG PET/CT after CCRT. Two patients underwent transanal endoscopic microsurgery after CCRT, and they were excluded when the N category was evaluated. Results The overall accuracy of MRI for the T category was 67% (κ = 0.422, P = 0.003), whereas overstaging and understaging occurred in 30 and 3% of the patients, respectively. For the N category, accurate staging was noted in 75% (κ = 0.410, P = 0.030) of all the patients, whereas 14% were overstaged and 11% were understaged. The overall accuracy rates for the T and N categories with performing 18F-FDG PET/CT were 60% (κ = 0.372, P = 0.004) and 71% (κ = 0.097, P = 0.549), respectively. While MRI could not predict any patient who showed a pathologic complete response, 18F-FDG PET/CT predicted three of the four patients who showed a pathologic complete response after preoperative CCRT. Furthermore, 18F-FDG PET/CT identified distant metastases with an accuracy rate of 97%. Conclusions For restaging patients with rectal cancer after preoperative CCRT, MRI is a useful diagnostic modality to predict both the T and N categories. 18F-FDG PET/CT is helpful in predicting a pathologic complete response and in finding metastasis after preoperative CCRT.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=77956065029&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=77956065029&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1007/S00268-009-0248-3

DO - 10.1007/S00268-009-0248-3

M3 - Article

C2 - 19823904

AN - SCOPUS:77956065029

VL - 33

SP - 2688

EP - 2694

JO - World Journal of Surgery

JF - World Journal of Surgery

SN - 0364-2313

IS - 12

ER -