Oil palm empty fruit bunches (EFB) were pretreated by aqueous ammonia soaking for ethanol production. Pretreated EFB, which were pretreated at the optimal conditions of 60°C, 12. h, and 21% (w/w) aqueous ammonia, showed 19.5% and 41.4% glucose yields during an enzymatic digestibility test for 96. h when using 15 and 60. FPU of cellulase, respectively. Using the pretreated EFB, simultaneous saccharification and fermentation for 168. h with 5% (w/v) glucan loading and 60. FPU of cellulase and 30. CBU of β-glucosidase per gram glucan resulted in ethanol production of 18.6. g/L titer, 65.6% of theoretical maximum yield, and 0.11. g/L/h of productivity.
- Aqueous ammonia pretreatment
- Oil palm empty fruit bunches
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Environmental Engineering
- Renewable Energy, Sustainability and the Environment
- Waste Management and Disposal