Docetaxel (taxotere), cisplatin, UFT, and leucovorin combination chemotherapy in advanced gastric cancer

S. C. Oh, K. H. Park, I. K. Choi, S. Y. Yoon, S. J. Kim, J. H. Seo, C. W. Choi, B. S. Kim, S. W. Shin, J. S. Kim, Y. H. Kim

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

7 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

We conducted this study to ascertain the efficacy and toxicity of docetaxel and cisplatin combined with oral UFT and leucovorin as a first-line treatment for patients with advanced gastric cancer. In all, 52 patients received courses of docetaxel 60 mg m-2 intravenously (i.v.) for 1 h and then cisplatin 75 mg m-2 i.v. for 2 h on day 1. Oral UFT at 400-600 mg day-1, as determined by body surface area, and leucovorin at 75 mg day-1 were administered for 21 consecutive days from day 1, and this was followed by a 7-day drug-free interval. A total of 225 courses were administered, and the median number of courses per patient was four. Four complete responses (7.7%) and 22 partial responses (42.3%) were achieved, giving an overall response rate of 50% (95% Confidence Interval: 36.4-63.6%). The major toxicity was neutropenia, which reached grade 3/4 in 36 patients (69.3%). Grade 3/4 nausea and vomiting was observed in 12 patients (23.1%). Median time to progression was 22 weeks (4 to 156 + weeks), median survival duration was 48 weeks (4 to 156 + weeks), and median response duration was 24 weeks (6 - 152 weeks). We conclude that docetaxel, cisplatin, oral UFT, and leucovorin combination chemotherapy is effective and tolerable for the treatment of advanced gastric cancer.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)827-831
Number of pages5
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
Volume92
Issue number5
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2005 Mar 14

Keywords

  • Cisplatin
  • Docetaxel
  • Stomach neoplasms
  • UFT

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Cancer Research

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Docetaxel (taxotere), cisplatin, UFT, and leucovorin combination chemotherapy in advanced gastric cancer'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this