V-grooved inner stripe (VIS) GaAs-AlGaAs quantum-wire (QWR) lasers were successfully fabricated by combining two-step metalorganic chemical vapor deposition (MOCVD) growth with a wet-etching technique. In order to achieve low threshold current density and high reliability, a conductive stripe width (W), a thickness (tp-CBL), and a doping concentration (np-CBL) of the p-GaAs current-blocking layer (CBL) were determined to be W = 1.2 μm, tp-CBL = 2 μm, and np-CBL = 1 × 1018 cm-3. The leakage currents passing through the CBL were also estimated using a modified P-SPICE. Thus far, a threshold current of 45 mA and an output power of 4 mW at 51 mA have been achieved under room-temperature pulsed operation for some devices with uncoated facets.
- Two-step growth with a wet etching technique
- V-grooved inner stripe quantum-wire laser
- p-n junction isolation
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering