Light and electron microscopic analysis of the somata and parent axons innervating the rat upper molar and lower incisor pulp

S. K. Paik, K. P. Park, S. K. Lee, S. K. Ma, Y. S. Cho, Y. K. Kim, Im Joo Rhyu, D. K. Ahn, A. Yoshida, Y. C. Bae

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

25 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

The morphology of intradental nerve fibers of permanent teeth and of continuously growing rodent incisors has been studied in detail but little information is available on the parent axons that give rise to these fibers. Here we examined the axons and somata of trigeminal neurons that innervate the rat upper molar and lower incisor pulp using tracing with horseradish peroxidase and light and electron microscopic analysis. The majority (∼80%) of the parent axons in the proximal root of the trigeminal ganglion that innervated either molar or incisor pulp were small myelinated fibers (<20 μm2 cross-sectional area). The remaining ∼20% of the fibers were almost exclusively large myelinated for the molar pulp and unmyelinated for the incisor pulp. The majority of neuronal somata in the trigeminal ganglion that innervated either molar (48%) or incisor pulp (62%) were medium in size (300-600 μm2 cross-sectional area). Large somata (>600 μm2) constituted 34% and 20% of the trigeminal neurons innervating molar and incisor pulp, respectively, while small somata (<300 μm2) constituted 17% of the molar and 18% of the incisor neurons. The present study revealed that the morphology of parent axons of dental primary sensory neurons may differ from that of their intradental branches, and also suggests that the nerve fiber function may be carried out differently in the molar and incisor pulp in the rat.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1279-1286
Number of pages8
JournalNeuroscience
Volume162
Issue number4
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2009 Sep 15

Fingerprint

Carisoprodol
Incisor
Axons
Electrons
Light
Nerve Fibers
Neurons
Tooth
Trigeminal Ganglion
Sensory Receptor Cells
Horseradish Peroxidase
Rodentia

Keywords

  • dental primary sensory neuron
  • dental pulp
  • parent axon
  • ultrastructure

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Neuroscience(all)

Cite this

Light and electron microscopic analysis of the somata and parent axons innervating the rat upper molar and lower incisor pulp. / Paik, S. K.; Park, K. P.; Lee, S. K.; Ma, S. K.; Cho, Y. S.; Kim, Y. K.; Rhyu, Im Joo; Ahn, D. K.; Yoshida, A.; Bae, Y. C.

In: Neuroscience, Vol. 162, No. 4, 15.09.2009, p. 1279-1286.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Paik, S. K. ; Park, K. P. ; Lee, S. K. ; Ma, S. K. ; Cho, Y. S. ; Kim, Y. K. ; Rhyu, Im Joo ; Ahn, D. K. ; Yoshida, A. ; Bae, Y. C. / Light and electron microscopic analysis of the somata and parent axons innervating the rat upper molar and lower incisor pulp. In: Neuroscience. 2009 ; Vol. 162, No. 4. pp. 1279-1286.
@article{de116d4344d447ca9858a160946f810b,
title = "Light and electron microscopic analysis of the somata and parent axons innervating the rat upper molar and lower incisor pulp",
abstract = "The morphology of intradental nerve fibers of permanent teeth and of continuously growing rodent incisors has been studied in detail but little information is available on the parent axons that give rise to these fibers. Here we examined the axons and somata of trigeminal neurons that innervate the rat upper molar and lower incisor pulp using tracing with horseradish peroxidase and light and electron microscopic analysis. The majority (∼80{\%}) of the parent axons in the proximal root of the trigeminal ganglion that innervated either molar or incisor pulp were small myelinated fibers (<20 μm2 cross-sectional area). The remaining ∼20{\%} of the fibers were almost exclusively large myelinated for the molar pulp and unmyelinated for the incisor pulp. The majority of neuronal somata in the trigeminal ganglion that innervated either molar (48{\%}) or incisor pulp (62{\%}) were medium in size (300-600 μm2 cross-sectional area). Large somata (>600 μm2) constituted 34{\%} and 20{\%} of the trigeminal neurons innervating molar and incisor pulp, respectively, while small somata (<300 μm2) constituted 17{\%} of the molar and 18{\%} of the incisor neurons. The present study revealed that the morphology of parent axons of dental primary sensory neurons may differ from that of their intradental branches, and also suggests that the nerve fiber function may be carried out differently in the molar and incisor pulp in the rat.",
keywords = "dental primary sensory neuron, dental pulp, parent axon, ultrastructure",
author = "Paik, {S. K.} and Park, {K. P.} and Lee, {S. K.} and Ma, {S. K.} and Cho, {Y. S.} and Kim, {Y. K.} and Rhyu, {Im Joo} and Ahn, {D. K.} and A. Yoshida and Bae, {Y. C.}",
year = "2009",
month = "9",
day = "15",
doi = "10.1016/j.neuroscience.2009.05.046",
language = "English",
volume = "162",
pages = "1279--1286",
journal = "Neuroscience",
issn = "0306-4522",
publisher = "Elsevier Limited",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Light and electron microscopic analysis of the somata and parent axons innervating the rat upper molar and lower incisor pulp

AU - Paik, S. K.

AU - Park, K. P.

AU - Lee, S. K.

AU - Ma, S. K.

AU - Cho, Y. S.

AU - Kim, Y. K.

AU - Rhyu, Im Joo

AU - Ahn, D. K.

AU - Yoshida, A.

AU - Bae, Y. C.

PY - 2009/9/15

Y1 - 2009/9/15

N2 - The morphology of intradental nerve fibers of permanent teeth and of continuously growing rodent incisors has been studied in detail but little information is available on the parent axons that give rise to these fibers. Here we examined the axons and somata of trigeminal neurons that innervate the rat upper molar and lower incisor pulp using tracing with horseradish peroxidase and light and electron microscopic analysis. The majority (∼80%) of the parent axons in the proximal root of the trigeminal ganglion that innervated either molar or incisor pulp were small myelinated fibers (<20 μm2 cross-sectional area). The remaining ∼20% of the fibers were almost exclusively large myelinated for the molar pulp and unmyelinated for the incisor pulp. The majority of neuronal somata in the trigeminal ganglion that innervated either molar (48%) or incisor pulp (62%) were medium in size (300-600 μm2 cross-sectional area). Large somata (>600 μm2) constituted 34% and 20% of the trigeminal neurons innervating molar and incisor pulp, respectively, while small somata (<300 μm2) constituted 17% of the molar and 18% of the incisor neurons. The present study revealed that the morphology of parent axons of dental primary sensory neurons may differ from that of their intradental branches, and also suggests that the nerve fiber function may be carried out differently in the molar and incisor pulp in the rat.

AB - The morphology of intradental nerve fibers of permanent teeth and of continuously growing rodent incisors has been studied in detail but little information is available on the parent axons that give rise to these fibers. Here we examined the axons and somata of trigeminal neurons that innervate the rat upper molar and lower incisor pulp using tracing with horseradish peroxidase and light and electron microscopic analysis. The majority (∼80%) of the parent axons in the proximal root of the trigeminal ganglion that innervated either molar or incisor pulp were small myelinated fibers (<20 μm2 cross-sectional area). The remaining ∼20% of the fibers were almost exclusively large myelinated for the molar pulp and unmyelinated for the incisor pulp. The majority of neuronal somata in the trigeminal ganglion that innervated either molar (48%) or incisor pulp (62%) were medium in size (300-600 μm2 cross-sectional area). Large somata (>600 μm2) constituted 34% and 20% of the trigeminal neurons innervating molar and incisor pulp, respectively, while small somata (<300 μm2) constituted 17% of the molar and 18% of the incisor neurons. The present study revealed that the morphology of parent axons of dental primary sensory neurons may differ from that of their intradental branches, and also suggests that the nerve fiber function may be carried out differently in the molar and incisor pulp in the rat.

KW - dental primary sensory neuron

KW - dental pulp

KW - parent axon

KW - ultrastructure

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=68049120193&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=68049120193&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.neuroscience.2009.05.046

DO - 10.1016/j.neuroscience.2009.05.046

M3 - Article

VL - 162

SP - 1279

EP - 1286

JO - Neuroscience

JF - Neuroscience

SN - 0306-4522

IS - 4

ER -