Predictive Factors for Response of Intracranial Dural Arteriovenous Fistulas to Transarterial Onyx Embolization: Angiographic Subgroup Analysis of Treatment Outcomes

Byungjun Kim, Pyoung Jeon, Keonha Kim, Sungtae Kim, Hyungjin Kim, Hong Sik Byun, Kyung Il Jo

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

7 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Objective: Endovascular treatment using Onyx has been increasingly used to treat intracranial dural arteriovenous fistulas (DAVFs). This study evaluated predictive factors for favorable treatment outcome in patients with intracranial noncavernous DAVFs treated by transarterial Onyx embolization. Methods: Between August 2008 and August 2014, 55 patients who underwent transarterial Onyx embolization for noncavernous DAVFs were retrospectively reviewed. Patients' demographic, clinical, and procedural data were analyzed to find statistically significant predictive factors for favorable treatment outcomes after Onyx embolization. Fistulas were classified angiographically according to the relationship between fistulas and dural venous sinuses and the presence of leptomeningeal venous reflux. Results: Sixty-eight Onyx embolizations were performed in 55 patients. Immediate angiographic cure was achieved in 28 patients, and 14 of 27 patients with residual shunts showed progressive occlusion at follow-up imaging studies. Therefore, the overall favorable treatment outcome was 76.4% (42/55). The remaining 13 patients (23.6%) showed persistent residual shunts, and 3 (5.5%) of them showed aggravation of residual lesion on follow-up studies. Of 25 patients with non-sinus fistulas, 23 patients (92%) showed favorable treatment outcomes, and 19 of 30 patients (63.3%) with sinus fistulas showed favorable outcomes. Among the evaluated variables, non-sinus DAVFs was a statistically significant predictive factor for favorable response to transarterial Onyx embolization (P < 0.05). Conclusions: Transarterial Onyx embolization is a highly effective treatment method for non-sinus DAVFs. Careful consideration of angiographic features and multimodal embolization strategies are required for treatment of sinus DAVFs.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)609-618
Number of pages10
JournalWorld Neurosurgery
Volume88
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2016 Apr 1

Fingerprint

Central Nervous System Vascular Malformations
Fistula
Therapeutics
Demography

Keywords

  • Central nervous system
  • Dimethyl sulfoxide
  • Embolization
  • Radiography
  • Therapeutic methods
  • Therapeutic use
  • Therapy
  • Treatment outcomes
  • Vascular malformations

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery
  • Clinical Neurology

Cite this

Predictive Factors for Response of Intracranial Dural Arteriovenous Fistulas to Transarterial Onyx Embolization : Angiographic Subgroup Analysis of Treatment Outcomes. / Kim, Byungjun; Jeon, Pyoung; Kim, Keonha; Kim, Sungtae; Kim, Hyungjin; Byun, Hong Sik; Jo, Kyung Il.

In: World Neurosurgery, Vol. 88, 01.04.2016, p. 609-618.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Kim, Byungjun ; Jeon, Pyoung ; Kim, Keonha ; Kim, Sungtae ; Kim, Hyungjin ; Byun, Hong Sik ; Jo, Kyung Il. / Predictive Factors for Response of Intracranial Dural Arteriovenous Fistulas to Transarterial Onyx Embolization : Angiographic Subgroup Analysis of Treatment Outcomes. In: World Neurosurgery. 2016 ; Vol. 88. pp. 609-618.
@article{7296b0f953e44082a1e523e1a57d706f,
title = "Predictive Factors for Response of Intracranial Dural Arteriovenous Fistulas to Transarterial Onyx Embolization: Angiographic Subgroup Analysis of Treatment Outcomes",
abstract = "Objective: Endovascular treatment using Onyx has been increasingly used to treat intracranial dural arteriovenous fistulas (DAVFs). This study evaluated predictive factors for favorable treatment outcome in patients with intracranial noncavernous DAVFs treated by transarterial Onyx embolization. Methods: Between August 2008 and August 2014, 55 patients who underwent transarterial Onyx embolization for noncavernous DAVFs were retrospectively reviewed. Patients' demographic, clinical, and procedural data were analyzed to find statistically significant predictive factors for favorable treatment outcomes after Onyx embolization. Fistulas were classified angiographically according to the relationship between fistulas and dural venous sinuses and the presence of leptomeningeal venous reflux. Results: Sixty-eight Onyx embolizations were performed in 55 patients. Immediate angiographic cure was achieved in 28 patients, and 14 of 27 patients with residual shunts showed progressive occlusion at follow-up imaging studies. Therefore, the overall favorable treatment outcome was 76.4{\%} (42/55). The remaining 13 patients (23.6{\%}) showed persistent residual shunts, and 3 (5.5{\%}) of them showed aggravation of residual lesion on follow-up studies. Of 25 patients with non-sinus fistulas, 23 patients (92{\%}) showed favorable treatment outcomes, and 19 of 30 patients (63.3{\%}) with sinus fistulas showed favorable outcomes. Among the evaluated variables, non-sinus DAVFs was a statistically significant predictive factor for favorable response to transarterial Onyx embolization (P < 0.05). Conclusions: Transarterial Onyx embolization is a highly effective treatment method for non-sinus DAVFs. Careful consideration of angiographic features and multimodal embolization strategies are required for treatment of sinus DAVFs.",
keywords = "Central nervous system, Dimethyl sulfoxide, Embolization, Radiography, Therapeutic methods, Therapeutic use, Therapy, Treatment outcomes, Vascular malformations",
author = "Byungjun Kim and Pyoung Jeon and Keonha Kim and Sungtae Kim and Hyungjin Kim and Byun, {Hong Sik} and Jo, {Kyung Il}",
year = "2016",
month = "4",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1016/j.wneu.2015.10.052",
language = "English",
volume = "88",
pages = "609--618",
journal = "World Neurosurgery",
issn = "1878-8750",
publisher = "Elsevier Inc.",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Predictive Factors for Response of Intracranial Dural Arteriovenous Fistulas to Transarterial Onyx Embolization

T2 - Angiographic Subgroup Analysis of Treatment Outcomes

AU - Kim, Byungjun

AU - Jeon, Pyoung

AU - Kim, Keonha

AU - Kim, Sungtae

AU - Kim, Hyungjin

AU - Byun, Hong Sik

AU - Jo, Kyung Il

PY - 2016/4/1

Y1 - 2016/4/1

N2 - Objective: Endovascular treatment using Onyx has been increasingly used to treat intracranial dural arteriovenous fistulas (DAVFs). This study evaluated predictive factors for favorable treatment outcome in patients with intracranial noncavernous DAVFs treated by transarterial Onyx embolization. Methods: Between August 2008 and August 2014, 55 patients who underwent transarterial Onyx embolization for noncavernous DAVFs were retrospectively reviewed. Patients' demographic, clinical, and procedural data were analyzed to find statistically significant predictive factors for favorable treatment outcomes after Onyx embolization. Fistulas were classified angiographically according to the relationship between fistulas and dural venous sinuses and the presence of leptomeningeal venous reflux. Results: Sixty-eight Onyx embolizations were performed in 55 patients. Immediate angiographic cure was achieved in 28 patients, and 14 of 27 patients with residual shunts showed progressive occlusion at follow-up imaging studies. Therefore, the overall favorable treatment outcome was 76.4% (42/55). The remaining 13 patients (23.6%) showed persistent residual shunts, and 3 (5.5%) of them showed aggravation of residual lesion on follow-up studies. Of 25 patients with non-sinus fistulas, 23 patients (92%) showed favorable treatment outcomes, and 19 of 30 patients (63.3%) with sinus fistulas showed favorable outcomes. Among the evaluated variables, non-sinus DAVFs was a statistically significant predictive factor for favorable response to transarterial Onyx embolization (P < 0.05). Conclusions: Transarterial Onyx embolization is a highly effective treatment method for non-sinus DAVFs. Careful consideration of angiographic features and multimodal embolization strategies are required for treatment of sinus DAVFs.

AB - Objective: Endovascular treatment using Onyx has been increasingly used to treat intracranial dural arteriovenous fistulas (DAVFs). This study evaluated predictive factors for favorable treatment outcome in patients with intracranial noncavernous DAVFs treated by transarterial Onyx embolization. Methods: Between August 2008 and August 2014, 55 patients who underwent transarterial Onyx embolization for noncavernous DAVFs were retrospectively reviewed. Patients' demographic, clinical, and procedural data were analyzed to find statistically significant predictive factors for favorable treatment outcomes after Onyx embolization. Fistulas were classified angiographically according to the relationship between fistulas and dural venous sinuses and the presence of leptomeningeal venous reflux. Results: Sixty-eight Onyx embolizations were performed in 55 patients. Immediate angiographic cure was achieved in 28 patients, and 14 of 27 patients with residual shunts showed progressive occlusion at follow-up imaging studies. Therefore, the overall favorable treatment outcome was 76.4% (42/55). The remaining 13 patients (23.6%) showed persistent residual shunts, and 3 (5.5%) of them showed aggravation of residual lesion on follow-up studies. Of 25 patients with non-sinus fistulas, 23 patients (92%) showed favorable treatment outcomes, and 19 of 30 patients (63.3%) with sinus fistulas showed favorable outcomes. Among the evaluated variables, non-sinus DAVFs was a statistically significant predictive factor for favorable response to transarterial Onyx embolization (P < 0.05). Conclusions: Transarterial Onyx embolization is a highly effective treatment method for non-sinus DAVFs. Careful consideration of angiographic features and multimodal embolization strategies are required for treatment of sinus DAVFs.

KW - Central nervous system

KW - Dimethyl sulfoxide

KW - Embolization

KW - Radiography

KW - Therapeutic methods

KW - Therapeutic use

KW - Therapy

KW - Treatment outcomes

KW - Vascular malformations

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84950286888&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84950286888&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.wneu.2015.10.052

DO - 10.1016/j.wneu.2015.10.052

M3 - Article

C2 - 26548817

AN - SCOPUS:84950286888

VL - 88

SP - 609

EP - 618

JO - World Neurosurgery

JF - World Neurosurgery

SN - 1878-8750

ER -