Tandem Architecture of Perovskite and Cu(In,Ga)(S,Se)2 Created by Solution Processes for Solar Cells

Minoh Lee, Se Jin Park, Yun Jeong Hwang, Yongseok Jun, Byoung Koun Min

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

7 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Integrating tandem solar cell architectures into devices can improve their power conversion efficiency (PCE) by overcoming the limited incident light absorption range of a single absorber and reducing the thermalization loss. Here, fabricated tandem solar cells are successfully fabricated employing different absorber materials, in this case perovskite and Cu(In,Ga)(S,Se)2 (CIGS) as top and bottom cells, respectively. For cost effectiveness most tandem device manufacturing processes are achieved by solution-based methods, which even provide the electrode layers. Using such a process to create a tandem device, a PCE of 8.34% for the semitransparent perovskite top solar cell and 2.48% for the CIGS bottom solar cell is obtained, resulting in an overall efficiency of 10.82% for the four-terminal tandem device. This result highlights the potential of this solution-based tandem configuration as a way to facilitate the creation of simple and inexpensive efficient light-utilizing solar cell devices.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)2102-2108
Number of pages7
JournalAdvanced Optical Materials
Volume4
Issue number12
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2016 Dec 1

Fingerprint

Perovskite
Solar cells
solar cells
Conversion efficiency
absorbers (materials)
cost effectiveness
Cost effectiveness
electromagnetic absorption
Light absorption
absorbers
manufacturing
perovskite
Electrodes
electrodes
configurations
cells

Keywords

  • CIGS
  • perovskite
  • solar cells
  • solution process
  • tandem

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
  • Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics

Cite this

Tandem Architecture of Perovskite and Cu(In,Ga)(S,Se)2 Created by Solution Processes for Solar Cells. / Lee, Minoh; Park, Se Jin; Hwang, Yun Jeong; Jun, Yongseok; Min, Byoung Koun.

In: Advanced Optical Materials, Vol. 4, No. 12, 01.12.2016, p. 2102-2108.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Lee, Minoh ; Park, Se Jin ; Hwang, Yun Jeong ; Jun, Yongseok ; Min, Byoung Koun. / Tandem Architecture of Perovskite and Cu(In,Ga)(S,Se)2 Created by Solution Processes for Solar Cells. In: Advanced Optical Materials. 2016 ; Vol. 4, No. 12. pp. 2102-2108.
@article{618a28a7c618489f8d085bae93143d40,
title = "Tandem Architecture of Perovskite and Cu(In,Ga)(S,Se)2 Created by Solution Processes for Solar Cells",
abstract = "Integrating tandem solar cell architectures into devices can improve their power conversion efficiency (PCE) by overcoming the limited incident light absorption range of a single absorber and reducing the thermalization loss. Here, fabricated tandem solar cells are successfully fabricated employing different absorber materials, in this case perovskite and Cu(In,Ga)(S,Se)2 (CIGS) as top and bottom cells, respectively. For cost effectiveness most tandem device manufacturing processes are achieved by solution-based methods, which even provide the electrode layers. Using such a process to create a tandem device, a PCE of 8.34{\%} for the semitransparent perovskite top solar cell and 2.48{\%} for the CIGS bottom solar cell is obtained, resulting in an overall efficiency of 10.82{\%} for the four-terminal tandem device. This result highlights the potential of this solution-based tandem configuration as a way to facilitate the creation of simple and inexpensive efficient light-utilizing solar cell devices.",
keywords = "CIGS, perovskite, solar cells, solution process, tandem",
author = "Minoh Lee and Park, {Se Jin} and Hwang, {Yun Jeong} and Yongseok Jun and Min, {Byoung Koun}",
year = "2016",
month = "12",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1002/adom.201600373",
language = "English",
volume = "4",
pages = "2102--2108",
journal = "Advanced Optical Materials",
issn = "2195-1071",
publisher = "John Wiley and Sons Inc.",
number = "12",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Tandem Architecture of Perovskite and Cu(In,Ga)(S,Se)2 Created by Solution Processes for Solar Cells

AU - Lee, Minoh

AU - Park, Se Jin

AU - Hwang, Yun Jeong

AU - Jun, Yongseok

AU - Min, Byoung Koun

PY - 2016/12/1

Y1 - 2016/12/1

N2 - Integrating tandem solar cell architectures into devices can improve their power conversion efficiency (PCE) by overcoming the limited incident light absorption range of a single absorber and reducing the thermalization loss. Here, fabricated tandem solar cells are successfully fabricated employing different absorber materials, in this case perovskite and Cu(In,Ga)(S,Se)2 (CIGS) as top and bottom cells, respectively. For cost effectiveness most tandem device manufacturing processes are achieved by solution-based methods, which even provide the electrode layers. Using such a process to create a tandem device, a PCE of 8.34% for the semitransparent perovskite top solar cell and 2.48% for the CIGS bottom solar cell is obtained, resulting in an overall efficiency of 10.82% for the four-terminal tandem device. This result highlights the potential of this solution-based tandem configuration as a way to facilitate the creation of simple and inexpensive efficient light-utilizing solar cell devices.

AB - Integrating tandem solar cell architectures into devices can improve their power conversion efficiency (PCE) by overcoming the limited incident light absorption range of a single absorber and reducing the thermalization loss. Here, fabricated tandem solar cells are successfully fabricated employing different absorber materials, in this case perovskite and Cu(In,Ga)(S,Se)2 (CIGS) as top and bottom cells, respectively. For cost effectiveness most tandem device manufacturing processes are achieved by solution-based methods, which even provide the electrode layers. Using such a process to create a tandem device, a PCE of 8.34% for the semitransparent perovskite top solar cell and 2.48% for the CIGS bottom solar cell is obtained, resulting in an overall efficiency of 10.82% for the four-terminal tandem device. This result highlights the potential of this solution-based tandem configuration as a way to facilitate the creation of simple and inexpensive efficient light-utilizing solar cell devices.

KW - CIGS

KW - perovskite

KW - solar cells

KW - solution process

KW - tandem

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84987875940&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84987875940&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1002/adom.201600373

DO - 10.1002/adom.201600373

M3 - Article

AN - SCOPUS:84987875940

VL - 4

SP - 2102

EP - 2108

JO - Advanced Optical Materials

JF - Advanced Optical Materials

SN - 2195-1071

IS - 12

ER -