The Utility of Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Examination Versus Positron Emission Tomography–Computed Tomography in the Detection of Second Primary Lesions in Korean Patients With Head and Neck Cancer

Min Su Kim, In Sik Song, Kyoung Ho Oh, Jae Gu Cho, Seung-Kuk Baek, Jeong Soo Woo, Kwang Yoon Jung, Soon Young Kwon

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Objective: Head and neck cancer often accompany a synchronous secondary primary lesion in the digestive tract. The aim of this study was to compare detection rates between positron emission tomography–computed tomography (PET-CT) and esophagogastroduodenoscopy (G-fiber) or colonoscopy (C-fiber) in the initial staging and to analyze risk factors for premalignant, malignant, and total synchronous secondary primary lesions. Methods: A total of 739 patients with head and neck cancer who underwent PET-CT, G-fiber, or C-fiber were analyzed retrospectively. Results: Positron emission tomography–CT did not definitely detect any premalignant synchronous secondary primary lesions (0 [0%] of 739) but definitely detected 10 malignant synchronous secondary primary lesions (10 [1.35%] of 739). Esophagogastroduodenoscopy or C-fiber detected all 20 premalignant synchronous secondary primary lesions (20 [2.71%] of 739) and all 37 malignant synchronous secondary primary lesions (37 [5.00%] of 739). The patients with nasopharynx cancer tended to have premalignant synchronous secondary primary lesions (odds ratio [OR]: 3.793; 95% CI: 1.414-10.171; P =.008). Those with distant metastasis tended to have premalignant (OR: 4.743; 95% CI: 1.508-14.916; P =.009), malignant (OR: 3.803; 95% CI: 1.486-9.731; P =.005), and total synchronous secondary primary lesions (OR: 2.753; 95% CI: 1.159-6.538; P =.022). Conclusions: Premalignant or malignant synchronous secondary primary lesions that were not definitely detected by PET-CT could be found in the endoscopic examination.

Original languageEnglish
JournalEar, Nose and Throat Journal
DOIs
Publication statusAccepted/In press - 2020

Keywords

  • colonoscopy
  • esophagogastroduodenoscopy
  • head and neck neoplasm
  • precancerous condition
  • second primary neoplasm

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Otorhinolaryngology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'The Utility of Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Examination Versus Positron Emission Tomography–Computed Tomography in the Detection of Second Primary Lesions in Korean Patients With Head and Neck Cancer'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this