Therapeutic efficacy and safety of percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of hepatocellular carcinoma abutting the gastrointestinal tract

Dongil Choi, Hyo K. Lim, Min Ju Kim, Seung Hoon Kim, Won Jae Lee, Seong Hyun Kim, Jae Hoon Lim, Seung Won Paik, Kwang Cheol Koh, Byung Cheol Yoo

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

47 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

OBJECTIVE. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the therapeutic efficacy and safety of percutaneous radiofrequency ablation in the treatment of hepatocellular carcinomas abutting the gastrointestinal tract. MATERIALS AND METHODS. Forty-one patients with hepatocellular carcinomas abutting the gastrointestinal tract underwent sonographically guided percutaneous radiofrequency ablation. Forty-one tumors (1.2-4.3 cm in maximum diameter) had parts 5 mm or greater (or at least one quarter of their circumferences) abutting the stomach in 23 patients and the colon in 18 patients. Thirty tumors were ablated with internally cooled electrodes and 11 with multitined expandable electrodes. All patients were followed up for at least 1 year after ablation. Therapeutic efficacy and safety were evaluated with follow-up sonography and multiphase helical CT. RESULTS. At 1-month follow-up CT, three (7%) of the 41 tumors showed residual unablated tumor in the ablation zone. Of the remaining 38 hepatocellular carcinomas (93%) with no evidence of residual unablated tumor, four (11%) showed local tumor progression in the ablation zones on subsequent follow-up CT. We observed one major complication-a small perihepatic abscess-that needed specific treatment. CONCLUSION. Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation is an effective and safe technique for treating hepatocellular carcinomas abutting the gastrointestinal tract.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1417-1424
Number of pages8
JournalAmerican Journal of Roentgenology
Volume183
Issue number5
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2004 Jan 1
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Gastrointestinal Tract
Hepatocellular Carcinoma
Safety
Residual Neoplasm
Neoplasms
Electrodes
Spiral Computed Tomography
Therapeutics
Abscess
Ultrasonography
Stomach
Colon

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging

Cite this

Therapeutic efficacy and safety of percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of hepatocellular carcinoma abutting the gastrointestinal tract. / Choi, Dongil; Lim, Hyo K.; Kim, Min Ju; Kim, Seung Hoon; Lee, Won Jae; Kim, Seong Hyun; Lim, Jae Hoon; Paik, Seung Won; Koh, Kwang Cheol; Yoo, Byung Cheol.

In: American Journal of Roentgenology, Vol. 183, No. 5, 01.01.2004, p. 1417-1424.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Choi, Dongil ; Lim, Hyo K. ; Kim, Min Ju ; Kim, Seung Hoon ; Lee, Won Jae ; Kim, Seong Hyun ; Lim, Jae Hoon ; Paik, Seung Won ; Koh, Kwang Cheol ; Yoo, Byung Cheol. / Therapeutic efficacy and safety of percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of hepatocellular carcinoma abutting the gastrointestinal tract. In: American Journal of Roentgenology. 2004 ; Vol. 183, No. 5. pp. 1417-1424.
@article{f2b6823fabb94e799706de0f55874139,
title = "Therapeutic efficacy and safety of percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of hepatocellular carcinoma abutting the gastrointestinal tract",
abstract = "OBJECTIVE. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the therapeutic efficacy and safety of percutaneous radiofrequency ablation in the treatment of hepatocellular carcinomas abutting the gastrointestinal tract. MATERIALS AND METHODS. Forty-one patients with hepatocellular carcinomas abutting the gastrointestinal tract underwent sonographically guided percutaneous radiofrequency ablation. Forty-one tumors (1.2-4.3 cm in maximum diameter) had parts 5 mm or greater (or at least one quarter of their circumferences) abutting the stomach in 23 patients and the colon in 18 patients. Thirty tumors were ablated with internally cooled electrodes and 11 with multitined expandable electrodes. All patients were followed up for at least 1 year after ablation. Therapeutic efficacy and safety were evaluated with follow-up sonography and multiphase helical CT. RESULTS. At 1-month follow-up CT, three (7{\%}) of the 41 tumors showed residual unablated tumor in the ablation zone. Of the remaining 38 hepatocellular carcinomas (93{\%}) with no evidence of residual unablated tumor, four (11{\%}) showed local tumor progression in the ablation zones on subsequent follow-up CT. We observed one major complication-a small perihepatic abscess-that needed specific treatment. CONCLUSION. Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation is an effective and safe technique for treating hepatocellular carcinomas abutting the gastrointestinal tract.",
author = "Dongil Choi and Lim, {Hyo K.} and Kim, {Min Ju} and Kim, {Seung Hoon} and Lee, {Won Jae} and Kim, {Seong Hyun} and Lim, {Jae Hoon} and Paik, {Seung Won} and Koh, {Kwang Cheol} and Yoo, {Byung Cheol}",
year = "2004",
month = "1",
day = "1",
doi = "10.2214/ajr.183.5.1831417",
language = "English",
volume = "183",
pages = "1417--1424",
journal = "American Journal of Roentgenology",
issn = "0361-803X",
publisher = "American Roentgen Ray Society",
number = "5",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Therapeutic efficacy and safety of percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of hepatocellular carcinoma abutting the gastrointestinal tract

AU - Choi, Dongil

AU - Lim, Hyo K.

AU - Kim, Min Ju

AU - Kim, Seung Hoon

AU - Lee, Won Jae

AU - Kim, Seong Hyun

AU - Lim, Jae Hoon

AU - Paik, Seung Won

AU - Koh, Kwang Cheol

AU - Yoo, Byung Cheol

PY - 2004/1/1

Y1 - 2004/1/1

N2 - OBJECTIVE. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the therapeutic efficacy and safety of percutaneous radiofrequency ablation in the treatment of hepatocellular carcinomas abutting the gastrointestinal tract. MATERIALS AND METHODS. Forty-one patients with hepatocellular carcinomas abutting the gastrointestinal tract underwent sonographically guided percutaneous radiofrequency ablation. Forty-one tumors (1.2-4.3 cm in maximum diameter) had parts 5 mm or greater (or at least one quarter of their circumferences) abutting the stomach in 23 patients and the colon in 18 patients. Thirty tumors were ablated with internally cooled electrodes and 11 with multitined expandable electrodes. All patients were followed up for at least 1 year after ablation. Therapeutic efficacy and safety were evaluated with follow-up sonography and multiphase helical CT. RESULTS. At 1-month follow-up CT, three (7%) of the 41 tumors showed residual unablated tumor in the ablation zone. Of the remaining 38 hepatocellular carcinomas (93%) with no evidence of residual unablated tumor, four (11%) showed local tumor progression in the ablation zones on subsequent follow-up CT. We observed one major complication-a small perihepatic abscess-that needed specific treatment. CONCLUSION. Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation is an effective and safe technique for treating hepatocellular carcinomas abutting the gastrointestinal tract.

AB - OBJECTIVE. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the therapeutic efficacy and safety of percutaneous radiofrequency ablation in the treatment of hepatocellular carcinomas abutting the gastrointestinal tract. MATERIALS AND METHODS. Forty-one patients with hepatocellular carcinomas abutting the gastrointestinal tract underwent sonographically guided percutaneous radiofrequency ablation. Forty-one tumors (1.2-4.3 cm in maximum diameter) had parts 5 mm or greater (or at least one quarter of their circumferences) abutting the stomach in 23 patients and the colon in 18 patients. Thirty tumors were ablated with internally cooled electrodes and 11 with multitined expandable electrodes. All patients were followed up for at least 1 year after ablation. Therapeutic efficacy and safety were evaluated with follow-up sonography and multiphase helical CT. RESULTS. At 1-month follow-up CT, three (7%) of the 41 tumors showed residual unablated tumor in the ablation zone. Of the remaining 38 hepatocellular carcinomas (93%) with no evidence of residual unablated tumor, four (11%) showed local tumor progression in the ablation zones on subsequent follow-up CT. We observed one major complication-a small perihepatic abscess-that needed specific treatment. CONCLUSION. Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation is an effective and safe technique for treating hepatocellular carcinomas abutting the gastrointestinal tract.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=16544367561&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=16544367561&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.2214/ajr.183.5.1831417

DO - 10.2214/ajr.183.5.1831417

M3 - Article

C2 - 15505314

AN - SCOPUS:16544367561

VL - 183

SP - 1417

EP - 1424

JO - American Journal of Roentgenology

JF - American Journal of Roentgenology

SN - 0361-803X

IS - 5

ER -